Brian C. O'Brien
Brian joined the firm in 1980 and became a shareholder in 1991. His areas of specialization include governmental and nonprofit entities; coal, mineral and oil and gas extractive; contracting; and wholesale industries. In addition, he is directly involved with organizations that receive governmental and other financial assistance. Brian is frequently sought after as a source of information and quoted in publications such as Forbes Magazine and the Chronicle of Philanthropy. His expertise in dealing with both nonprofit and closely held businesses and their unique tax characteristics has served clients well.
B.S. - Business Administration, West Virginia University, Magna Cum Laude
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member—American and Pennsylvania Institutes of Certified Public Accountants, West Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants and the Ohio, Alabama and Kentucky Societies of Certified Public Accountants
- Chairman—Schneider Downs Accounting, Assurance and Advisory Services Department
- Member—PrimeGlobal's National Professional Education Committee
- Member—The Independent Oil and Gas Association of Pennsylvania and Ohio
- Resource Advisor—AICPA Nonprofit Advisory Committee
- Member—Schneider Downs Accounting Technical Advisory Committee
- Serves as a trustee and board member on various for-profit and nonprofit entities.
Do you have a hobby or personal passion?
Skiing. Water in the summer. Snow in the winter.
What was the best advice you’ve ever received?
Focus on what you can control, and don’t obsess with what you can’t influence.
Who was your role model?
My wife and family.
What is the best or most interesting thing about your career?
The exposure and interaction I have on a daily basis with talented individuals in and outside of the firm.
What was your first job?
I was a life guard.
Do you have a “motto?”
If you are not on the edge, you are in the way.