Schneider Downs Energy and Resources Industry Group provides specialized financial advice and services to our clients in the forest products industry. Our extensive knowledge of industry issues enables us to provide proactive audit, tax and management consulting services. We have assisted our clients with solutions for their business, such as operational matters, mergers and acquisitions and liability concerns.
We can assist your company with mergers and acquisitions, equipment financing, productivity analyses, lease vs. buy decisions for major asset additions, structuring of transactions to gain the most favorable tax treatment allowable and a review of your internal accounting policies and procedures.
Some of the services and capabilities that Schneider Downs provides to clients in the forest industry are as follows:
- Assist clients with planning and achieving the available tax advantages inherent in timber ownership and harvesting under Internal Revenue Code Sections 631(a) and (b).
- A thorough review of the entity structuring (e.g. joint venture, partnership or incorporation), based on the specifics of the situation and the business objectives, to determine the best possible organizational structure for your business.
- Guidance on partnership agreements, lease contracts and operating agreements to determine the best method of investment (limited vs. general partner) and the related tax considerations.
- Review of potential investments not only from a tax standpoint, but also from an economic standpoint to determine if the investment is feasible.
- Assisting clients with a review of internal controls throughout the entire organization to determine if modifications are required.
- Provide guidance to clients through process of restructuring their current debt and related terms and covenants.
- Assistance in determining the effect that proposed transactions will have on the taxpayer from both a tax and a financial statement perspective.
- Benchmarking comparisons of similar businesses to determine if an entity is operating in an efficient and effective manner and earning an appropriate return on its investment.
- Evaluation of the company’s tax preference items to minimize the federal alternative minimum tax impact and strategies to utilize minimum tax credit carry forwards.
- Assisting clients with like-kind exchanges, including forest property and other related business property (real estate, machinery and equipment).