Asset vs Stock Deal: What’s Best for Me When Selling My Business?

You’ve been approached about selling your business.  After phoning your spouse to share the good news, you call your succession planning advisor.  The first thing you’re asked is:  Did they offer to buy the stock or the assets?  There are tax differences between the two.

Let’s say they’ve offered to buy your stock.  You are preferred position.  From a tax standpoint, you're only going to ever have one layer of tax - you’ll pay capital gains tax on the basis you have in the entity versus the difference in what you’re being paid.  All your liabilities go with the sale of the company, but so do any tax attributes you may have accumulated in the business (so that Net Operating Loss you were hanging onto is now gone).

Typically a buyer will look to acquire the assets of a target for a number of reasons, with one of the biggest being that the buyer can depreciate or amortize those assets.  But what does that mean to you, the seller?  Well, the first thing you need to determine is what type of entity you’re in:  a C corporation?  Or a pass-through entity?  That’ll determine the amount of tax you’re going to pay.

In a C corporation, the sale of assets are all taxed at the current income tax rate of the corporation, currently 21%.  The remaining 79% is available to use how you want, probably as a distribution to yourself.  But wait, don’t forget that second layer of tax to consider, the one on the actual dividend to yourself of the net remaining cash after taxes.

Maybe you had a good advisor who knew that you may one day have to sell your assets and suggested you create your business in a pass-through entity (i.e., S corporation or partnership).  If this is the case, sale of the assets is passed through directly to you (hence the name) and you pay tax directly on the gain recognized in the company.  In this environment, you could have both ordinary and capital gain treatment on the sale of the assets, which could be anywhere from an additional 13% of federal tax if items are skewed more toward the ordinary income items.  The net cash received can then be distributed to you tax free to the extent of your tax basis in the entity.

All of this can be very confusing and can have an impact on the amount of after cash proceeds available to you in any transaction.  If you’re in the process of selling your business and want to better understand the tax implications, contact a member of the Schneider Downs Succession Service Group to start a discussion.

You’ve heard our thoughts… We’d like to hear yours

The Schneider Downs Our Thoughts On blog exists to create a dialogue on issues that are important to organizations and individuals. While we enjoy sharing our ideas and insights, we’re especially interested in what you may have to say. If you have a question or a comment about this article – or any article from the Our Thoughts On blog – we hope you’ll share it with us. After all, a dialogue is an exchange of ideas, and we’d like to hear from you. Email us at [email protected].

Material discussed is meant for informational purposes only, and it is not to be construed as investment, tax, or legal advice. Please note that individual situations can vary. Therefore, this information should be relied upon when coordinated with individual professional advice.

© 2021 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.

our thoughts on
Tax, Tax Reform BY Kirk Mitchell
Tax Reform 2021: Build Back Better Act Update as of Wednesday September 15, 2021
IRS Announces New Update Regarding Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures and Section 965
New Per Diem Rates Announced for the Transportation Industry – Can Your Company Use This as a Driver Retention Tool?
Tax-Exempt Organizations Must Notify IRS of Responsible Party Changes
Looking for Clarity from the IRS Regarding Foreign Activities? Be Careful What You Wish For!
IRS Provides Taxpayer-Friendly Guidance for the Employee Retention Credit
Register to receive our weekly newsletter with our most recent columns and insights.
Have a question? Ask us!

We’d love to hear from you. Drop us a note, and we’ll respond to you as quickly as possible.

Ask us
contact us

This site uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best user experience. Cookies assist in navigation, analyzing traffic and in our marketing efforts as described in our Privacy Policy.

×