New Intangible Drilling Costs (IDC) Treatment for Pennsylvania in 2014

For many years, calculating the proper Intangible Drilling Costs (IDC) deduction for Pennsylvania income tax purposes has been unclear and difficult.  Recently, however, Pennsylvania worked with industry members to standardize and ease the calculation of IDC deductions available to Pennsylvania taxpayers subject to the Personal Income Tax Rules through the issuance of Information Notice 2013-04.

For tax years beginning before January 1, 2014, Pennsylvania required a Schedule M addback equal to 100% of IDCs that were elected to be expensed under IRC Section 263(C) on a taxpayer’s federal tax return.  For Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax purposes, the IDC deduction was then recovered over the life of the well (a timeframe sometimes hard to calculate) matching the expense recovery for book purposes under the unit of production method. 

Pennsylvania Act 52 of the 2013 Amended Section 303 of the Reform Code of 1971 (72 P.S. § 7303), changed the treatment of IDCs to specifically allow a portion to be available for immediate expensing in the year incurred. 

For Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax purposes, an IDC is incurred when:
“the cost is required to be recorded on the person’s books according to the person’s method of accounting.  A cash method taxpayer records an IDC when he/she/it pays such cost.  An accrual method taxpayer records an IDC when the cost is fixed and determined, even if not yet paid.”

Pennsylvania will now allow an immediate deduction of up to 33% of the federal IDC claimed in the current year.  The remaining 67% (or more, if the full 33% was not deducted) will need to be amortized over 10 years, a timeframe standardized with this law change.  The person directly incurring the IDCs makes the election to expense the 33% by taking a current deduction on their tax return.  This election should be evaluated annually to determine if it is beneficial.  If the election is made at the pass-through level, the lower tier taxpayers must also follow the same election and deduction treatment as determined at the top pass-through entity.

Taxpayers will not be able to retroactively change the previous method of adding back federal expense and amortizing IDCs, however, going forward the accelerated deduction has the potential to benefit many Pennsylvania taxpayers, especially the ever-growing oil & gas industry in the Pennsylvania and the size of the related IDC deductions.  This ruling has no effect on the treatment of IDCs for C Corporation taxpayers.

© 2014 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.

This advice is not intended or written to be used for, and it cannot be used for, the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties that may be imposed, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person, any tax related matter.

You’ve heard our thoughts… We’d like to hear yours

The Schneider Downs Our Thoughts On blog exists to create a dialogue on issues that are important to organizations and individuals. While we enjoy sharing our ideas and insights, we’re especially interested in what you may have to say. If you have a question or a comment about this article – or any article from the Our Thoughts On blog – we hope you’ll share it with us. After all, a dialogue is an exchange of ideas, and we’d like to hear from you. Email us at

Material discussed is meant for informational purposes only, and it is not to be construed as investment, tax, or legal advice. Please note that individual situations can vary. Therefore, this information should be relied upon when coordinated with individual professional advice.

© 2019 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.

our thoughts on

Continued Compliance with CAISO SQMD Requirements in Non-Reporting Years
Rock You Like a Hurricane (..Maybe)
President Trump Signs Two Executive Orders to Enhance Pipeline Production
Pennsylvania's New Natural Gas Severance Tax Proposal
Vendor Audit: A Necessary Assessment
ASC 842 Expected to Impact Natural Resource Sector

Register to receive our weekly newsletter with our most recent columns and insights.

Have a question? Ask us!

We’d love to hear from you. Drop us a note, and we’ll respond to you as quickly as possible.

Ask us

contact us

Map of Pittsburgh Office

One PPG Place, Suite 1700
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
p:412.261.3644     f:412.261.4876

Map of Columbus Office

65 East State Street, Suite 2000
Columbus, OH 43215
p:614.621.4060     f:614.621.4062