It’s summer, which is a great time for college students to think about how to jumpstart their careers. Schneider Downs is here to help, and we are posting the following tips on our Facebook page every week to help students secure the job of their dreams:
1. Get involved early! If you have committed to a major and a certain career path, begin attending career fairs even as early as your freshman year. Start meeting representatives from employers/firms/companies you have an interest in. This will open doors to internship opportunities as well as potential full-time consideration.
2. Send thank you notes/follow-up correspondence after career fairs/interviews. This solidifies your interest in a company and also gives you an opportunity to show your written communication skills.
3. Use LinkedIn to start building your network. This is a very common professional social networking site, and a growing number of students are creating profiles as they realize the importance of connecting in this manner with potential employers. (Include link to LinkedIn)
4. Join undergraduate associations that complement your major. Pursue officer/director roles within those organizations to set yourself apart from other members.
5. For accounting majors, decide early how you will accomplish reaching the 150-semester- hour requirement necessary to sit for the CPA exam. Work with your advisor to plan out your college curriculum and leave room for possible internships along the way.
© 2012 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.
This advice is not intended or written to be used for, and it cannot be used for, the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties that may be imposed, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person, any tax related matter.