Increased competition, rising costs of raw materials and a shortage of quality workers are the top concerns of manufacturers, according to the findings from the Manufacturing Survey conducted by Schneider Downs.
The survey was sent to the Chief Executive or Chief Financial Officers of more than 100 Western Pennsylvania manufacturers and resulted in a 24% response rate. The participating organizations represented a variety of industries, with an even distribution of small, medium and large organizations. The survey was conducted during a two-week period in October 2011.
The purpose of the survey was to assess the current challenges faced by manufacturing organizations and to attempt to gain some insight into what these organizations envision for 2012.
The following themes were consistent throughout the survey responses:
- The top three risks faced by the organization going forward: cost of raw materials, lack of skilled workers, and increased competition.
- The top two challenges putting the most pressure on profits: cost of raw materials and cost of employee benefits.
- The top three “costs of doing business:” cost of raw materials, labor, and transportation.
- More than 90% of respondents said they had a good understanding of their supply chain and the associated supply chain risks.
- Nearly 90% of respondents indicated that customer demand for 2012 will increase only slightly or stay the same.
- Nearly 80% of respondents indicated that their 2012 capital expenditures will increase by 10% or less.
How does your manufacturing organization line up with our survey results?
If you would like more information about our survey results, please contact Don Applegarth at 412-697-5348 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.
This advice is not intended or written to be used for, and it cannot be used for, the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties that may be imposed, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person, any tax related matter.