Schneider Downs welcomed more than 100 central Ohio not-for-profit leaders to our annual Not-for-Profit Symposium recently. This full-day event, held at the Mid-Ohio Foodbank, explored a host of topics critical to the success of exempt organizations, including:
- Frank A. Wisehart, Director of Schneider Downs Business Advisory Services, described how to develop an awareness of fraudulent traits evident in human behavior by showing comical situations that public figures have found themselves in.
- Donald R. Owens, Shareholder for Schneider Downs Internal Audit and Risk Advisory Services, covered keys to implementing a strong internal control culture and how it translates into improved operations and mitigation of fraud risks.
- Nicholas D. Lombardo, Audit and Assurance Manager at Schneider Downs, reviewed the latest accounting and auditing updates affecting nonprofit organizations, including recent accounting standards activity, and recent accounting standard projects from the Not-for-Profit Advisory Committee.
- Tod E. Wilson, Senior Tax Manager at Schneider Downs, gave insight on federal tax and compliance issues, including legislative changes affecting exempt organizations, IRS procedures for determination letters and rulings, IRS Final Report on Colleges and Universities and an update on the rules on unrelated income.
- Jeffery A. Acheson, Managing Director at Schneider Downs Wealth Management Advisors, LP, discussed the similarities and differences between 401(k), 403(b), 457(b) and 457(f) plans, executive benefit enhancement opportunities, integrated plan designs and coordinating personal retirement and social security planning.
Additional highlights included two panel discussions featuring leaders of not-for-profits in our community who shared their experiences on relevant topics. Our first panel discussed HR issues impacting not-for-profit organizations such as benefits, outsourcing, employee retention and healthcare reform. Our second panel focused its attention on mergers and acquisitions activities in the not-for-profit world. Attendees were also able to tour Mid-Ohio Foodbank, and see the great work this organization is doing.
If you were unable to attend, or have unanswered questions, contact Jay Meglich, Shareholder, at email@example.com or 614-586-7124 or download the Columbus Not-for-profit symposium presentations.
© 2013 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.
This advice is not intended or written to be used for, and it cannot be used for, the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties that may be imposed, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person, any tax related matter.