OUR THOUGHTS ON:

Considering replacing your enterprise accounting and operations application?

Technology

By Bob Whalen

There are many possible reasons to consider a new enterprise application, such as your current system is no longer supported, your business is growing and you need something more robust, or the application users are telling you the system is cumbersome and unreliable. The traditional buying process for the mid-market is to find three potential suitors, have them come into your office, spend about an hour asking questions, and return a week later with a demonstration and a proposal. You pick an application based on your buying criteria, be it cost, functionality or other reasons, but how do you know you picked the right application? The first thing that your consulting team does as part of this new enterprise application engagement is get to know your business in more detail so they know how to set up the new application. Chances are you picked something that meets 80% of your needs, but the consulting team is identifying the other 20% as gaps in the application selected. Now you either face change orders or process workarounds. This is why we recommend the Diagnostic consulting engagement.

The purpose of a Diagnostic is to gather enough information about your business in order to define high-level requirements. The main deliverable of a Diagnostic engagement is a list of requirements expected from the new application which is then provided to the software vendors being evaluated. The goal is to achieve a higher level of confidence that the application being selected meets your needs, potential application gaps are understood up front, and a more accurate proposal for the total cost of the project is delivered. The time invested in the Diagnostic should also help save time in the implementation of the new application since the consulting team already knows a lot about your business prior to even starting the engagement. 

For more information about a Diagnostic, please contact Bob Whalen.

© 2011 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.

This advice is not intended or written to be used for, and it cannot be used for, the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties that may be imposed, or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any tax-related matter.

You’ve heard our thoughts… We’d like to hear yours

The Schneider Downs Our Thoughts On blog exists to create a dialogue on issues that are important to organizations and individuals. While we enjoy sharing our ideas and insights, we’re especially interested in what you may have to say. If you have a question or a comment about this article – or any article from the Our Thoughts On blog – we hope you’ll share it with us. After all, a dialogue is an exchange of ideas, and we’d like to hear from you. Email us at contactSD@schneiderdowns.com.

Material discussed is meant for informational purposes only, and it is not to be construed as investment, tax, or legal advice. Please note that individual situations can vary. Therefore, this information should be relied upon when coordinated with individual professional advice.

© 2018 Schneider Downs. All rights-reserved. All content on this site is property of Schneider Downs unless otherwise noted and should not be used without written permission.

comments