Joel M. Rosenthal
Joel is responsible for the strategic direction and development of the firm’s specialized business advisory services practice. Over his 30-year career, he has earned a reputation as an insightful consultant in multiple service areas, including due diligence and transaction advisory services, financial modeling, forensic investigations, business valuation, inventory management, financing procurement, fraud prevention and business planning. Joel’s extensive experience as an advisor in business transactions, forensic analysis, valuation and business strategy provides our clients with exceptional business advice.
Joel’s experience includes participating in and advising over 250 business transactions on both the buy and sell side. He has also led forensic
investigations for commercial, nonprofit and governmental entities. The forensic investigations involved misappropriation of assets, financial
statement fraud and corruption and bribery. In addition, Joel has significant experience in auditing.
Joel performs valuations for businesses for mergers and acquisitions, financial reporting, and for other purposes such as gift and estate tax.
Prior to joining Schneider Downs, Joel served as a consultant, accounting and audit shareholder, as well as the director of a manufacturing services group, for a regional accounting firm. He also has experience working for a national accounting firm.
B.B.A. - University of Michigan
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member—American and Pennsylvania Institutes of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Member of National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Board Member—Pittsburgh Public Theater
- Board Member—Jewish Health Care Foundation
- Board Member—Western PA Chapter of JDRF
- Past Board Member and Past Chairman—Jewish Family and Children's Services
- Past Board Member—Association for Corporate Growth - Global
- Leadership Pittsburgh XVI—Chamber of Commerce
- FBI Citizens Academy Member—2014
- Forensic Accounting Certificate—AICPA
Do you have a hobby or personal passion?
I enjoy playing hockey and golf
What was the best advice you’ve ever received?
You can’t listen when you are talking
Who was your role model?
My father, who was first in his family to go to college. He started his own accounting firm and grew it to one of the largest in Pittsburgh.
What was your childhood dream?
I dreamed of playing in the NHL
People would be surprised to know that I…….
Still play ice hockey
What was your first job?
I flipped burgers at Wendy’s
Do you have advice for young professionals?
Build your network. It will be with you for your whole career.